The Design Estimators responsibiilties are to design and cost complex life safety and electronic security systems including, but not limited to, fire detection, voice alarm, disabled refuge, CCTV, access control, intercom, PA and intruder systems.
The role is responsible for reviewing client/tender specification documents and drawings, liaising with suppliers, using CAD software for the detailed design, costing the projects and drafting proposal documents.
The role will work collaboratively with the Sales Manager, our Clients (both end-users and electrical contractors), consultants, suppliers and colleagues, in order to ensure internal & external deadlines are met and that projects are accurately designed & costed.
General overview of tasks will involve;
- Responsible for progressing sales enquiries and tenders, requirements by working closely with Sales Manager to ensure that customer requirements are understood.
- To design any number of life safety and security systems plus any other integrated building system as specified within the Company’s scope of work based upon customer requirements, specifications, drawings and current standards.
- To prepare proposals, quotations and tender documents for designed systems and ensure that assigned tenders are prepared on time and in line with company standards.
- To assess the security and fire risk factors influencing the design, to either enhance the design accordingly or to communicate back to the client.
- To ensure that the content of all quotations and system design specifications are compatible with the requirements of all applicable technical and regulatory standards (i.e. EN, BS, HTM) and BAFE/NSI Codes of Practice.
- To ensure adherence to all Company policies – including those for quality, health & safety and the management of false alarms.
- Produce CAD design and construction drawings in line with company policies and procedures and ensuring handovers and deadlines are achieved.
- To take an active role within the continuous improvement of Company systems to improve efficiency, quality and teamwork.
- To provide reports as appropriate to the directors of the Company.
- Travel to client or supplier sites within the UK and possibly overseas.
Experience & Skills Required
- To have fire & security systems engineering or design experience.
- To be conversant with fire & security products and systems and with their features and limitations.
- To have good verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to design relevant systems, prepare cost sheets and proposal documents.
- To have the ability to form good working relationships with colleagues, customers and outside bodies.
- To have the ability to understand and disseminate specifications and technical drawings.
- To have good organisational and time management skills.
- To be computer literate and proficient in all core Microsoft Office packages.
- Be self-motivated, hardworking and have good attention to detail.
- To be proficient in the use of the latest AutoCAD packages.
- To have good presentation and customer facing skills.
- To be conversant with and up to date in respect of new technologies, technical standards, regulatory standards, that are relevant to the design process.
- To be conversant with installation requirements such that system design specifications give clear and unambiguous information to the customer and to the installing engineer.
- To have knowledge of applicable quality systems (ISO9001, SSQS101, FSQS121 etc.).
- To have a clear understanding of construction industry and tender related works.
- To have the ability to work creatively and innovatively dealing with core issues with customers.
- To be able to display initiative and work to improve our business processes & systems.
- To be highly result orientated with a strong drive to deliver/succeed.
- To have proven business acumen and administrative skills.
What’s on Offer
Working within an international business, you will enjoy the benefits that come with this whilst still enjoying a close nit working team. The security and benefits that also come with this are certainly generous as is the opportunity for further career progression within the organisation too. You will receive a great basic salary in addition to the other benefits also that are included with the role.
Diversity & Inclusion
Kingsley Consulting operate an inclusive and diverse recruitment process, whilst also ensuring our clients do the same and we can provide any advice or education to them in relation to this. If there may be any support or adjustments required at any point throughout your recruitment journey with us, then please let us know and our trained consultants will assist and advise you accordingly.